Adrian Fletcher & Dom Paradox D.O.C.G.
(More about Adrian
aka Paradox of
Ciao Adriano and author of
family website Ciaofamiglia
First day on the road - tree blossoms everywhere
ON THE ROAD IN ENGLAND:
SEPTEMBER - OCTOBER 2012
Church, Ilam, Staffordshire Peak
District, October 2012
EARLIER STILL: ON THE ROAD IN
- AUTUMN 2009 and 2011
Driving up to
on an October evening 2011
Paradoxplace on Facebook
November 2011 in England
First (earliest) Page
York, Scarborough & East Yorkshire, Harleston,
Starston et al (Norfolk), Suffolk (Lavenham, Bury St
Edmonds, Long Melford), Buriton, East Meon (Hampsiire)
and places in between!
Wiltshire, Somerset, Devon, Tregony, Bodmin,
Falmouth et al (Cornwall), Fairfield and the
Including North Norfolk,
Lincoln, Durham, Barnard Castle, Old Brignall,
Staindrop, several Midlands' fonts, "new"
Fletcher / Burton family
photo albums from 1900-1915.
Two days at
the Norfolk Records Office photographing Aldous and
Whiting Family Wills and other documents, and a day
at the National Archives with a WWI War Diary.
Bellatrovata is the original "on
the road" site for Adrian (aka Adriano and Dom Paradox) Fletcher's
European explorations. Material relating to explorations in
Italy (including Tuscany, Rome and Venice), Spain, France and
Britain between 2004 and 2006 has been transferred to Adrian's
main web site -
- and now Bellatrovata
contains photos and stories from his extensive Autumn 2009, 2011,
2012 and 2014 road trips in
LINK TO PARADOXPLACE
Adrian Fletcher's main
Paradoxplace, a place full of
the buildings (especially abbeys cathedrals and churches), art,
books, history and stories of the movers and shakers of Medieval and
Renaissance Western Europe plus lots
of foodie stuff.
Paradoxplace photo pages about Britain
Spain & Portugal
LINK TO FAMILY WEBSITE
Scarborough - home
to John & Maria Fletcher, and Joseph & Elizabeth Procter
in the later 1800s. Elizabeth was the only Scarborough
"native" - she was descended from the Stringer family who we have so
far traced back in the St Mary Parish Records to the 1700s.
parish church of St Mary used to be twice as long, until civil war
royalist artillery in the castle knocked over the east end
in retaliation for the destruction of their keep by guns of
O Cromwell's artillery, firing from the church (which they
had forcibly occupied). What remains of the church's
original east wall can be seen to the right of the church.
The two towers at the west end of the church, also ruined, were not
rebuilt. Today's church is not only a beautiful sight
from the outside, inside it has a sense of proportionality
(with some interesting asymmetry)
and beautiful simplicity.
Material in this site
is © Adrian Fletcher 2000-2014 unless otherwise stated - the contents may not be hotlinked,
downloaded or reproduced
except as explained in the
Paradoxplace copyright policy.
Feedback and comments to afletch
at paradoxplace dot com